Sunday, February 8, 2009

These are rockin!

Female Merit Badges by artist, Mary Yeager! When I saw this I was like, "Damn, why didn't I think of that?" I love the idea! And Mary's skill is astonishing.

Mary's badges are so beautifully detailed. This is how she explains her merit badge concept:

"My female merit badges illustrate female "rites of passage" as well as the myriad physical manipulations women undergo to achieve cultural ideals of beauty, such as weight watching, whether or not to shave or wear makeup, etc. I've created tiny replicas of female products, such as a birth control pill pack and a pregnancy test. The miniature scale and meticulous, hand-embroidered surfaces convey my impressions of growing up female in our culture."

via Craft:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails